Friday, February 7, 2014


I knew right away that whoever was driving hit their brakes as soon as they hit the ice.
The truck began to skid sideways. Then quickly they must have tried to overcompensate the wheel and it swerved with a jerk in the opposite direction and starting sliding that way. Maybe that is when they decided to cover their eyes and let go of the wheel. Then it started spinning, one full circle, at this time it was close to the other end of the bridge. The truck did another 180 and came to a stop on the opposite side of the road facing the opposite direction landing directly in front of the low concrete rail that saddles the bridge. In my mind this picture frame froze. It probably had been no more that a few seconds that I stared into my rear view mirror. I never saw the car approaching me, nor the truck following the car. If I had I would have flashed my brights. I looked again in my rear view as they passed my vehicle and saw their brake lights hail each other as they approached the bridge and the truck now along side it. The road began curving again until there was nothing in my rear view except a weakening light littered with luminous snow on either side of a long dark path.
I believe I went into a slight state of shock because I don't really remember much after that until I got to the gas station in Winton. I only remember there were no more birds.
The fog had mostly misted away and the station was choking with motorists and big rigs. I got my gas and eased out from the pump. I noticed a big rig trying to get out onto the highway and I quickly maneuvered my vehicle to get ahead of him. I did not want to be stuck behind that when I reached the exit onto Hwy 158 a little more that a quarter mile down the road. Punching ahead towards the intersection riddled with construction cones and barrels I saw a lot of blue lights. A lot of blue lights and red lights, but no green lights, at the intersection of 158. Looking into the direction of my turn hundreds of big rigs, trucks, cars and school buses were lined up as far as the eye could see. I quickly did a U-ey into the opposite lane, barely missing a cone and the one chance I had to turn around quickly and easily to head back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment