Friday, February 7, 2014

The further down the stretch of highway I traveled the more confident I became with my shortness of site. For several miles I passed no one and considered the schools must have called a delay. I thought to get gas in the next little bump in the road on this desolate route and decided I had enough to travel to the next town that was large enough for two stop lights. I wanted to keep up my pace, I was making good time. 
Finally I begin to see other vehicles, one oncoming and one coming behind. The one approaching my rear seemed not to be concerned with the road conditions or the heavy patches of fog. They had on their brights and they were speeding towards me. The oncoming truck I passed, and he too was sure with his speed. The car in the rear flew around me and I decided to follow his lead and lights. Justified as easier for me to see and quite possibly allow me a few extra minutes when I stopped to gas up, no lost time, right? I had yet to experience any bad icy patches on the road, mostly slush dusted with snow. My wheels straddled these runs of mush as I hung in with my new "pilot" car. The fog rising and thinning in places gave an even greater permission.We pushed the envelope of speed as if a crisp clear day. The approaching town limit said 25 miles per hour, we took the railroad hump at 50. Why I was so calm and reserved myself to play follow the leader I do not know. It is unlike me.
My pilot car pulled further away momentarily as it passed a truck that had turned onto the highway from a side road. The fog was not as thick in this area and my pilot car took the advantage of the passing speed and clear view to soar ahead. And I watched his rear reds quickly get smaller as I approached the "slow to go" truck that had taken my pilot's place. I decided to pass the truck as well, never even having to punch the gas to get by. I estimated it's speed to be only about 40-45. I maintained my momentum and pulled back into the lead.
After a mile or so the road darkened somewhat and I noticed more patches, more snow and the birds. Birds everywhere. Like little suicide bombers they kept cutting in front of me by the dozens. I instinctively eased off the gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment