Friday, February 7, 2014

Today I listened. I listened to the world and the quiet insistence of nature and it saved me.
I do not "hear and heed" as often as I should even though I feel those nudges and get those gut tugs and think after the fact "Ah HA! that is why I thought I should do so and so or bring this and that or go the other way, yadaya..
The morning wore a blanket as throughout the night it had snowed. I peered out the window and the rural two lane road was visible enough. I had to leave so early, before light, before it warmed...any. 
I had had a rough go of it in the night as well so I was more awake than usual given the unruly early hour. My stomach still ached somewhat from it's issues and I wondered how that would suit me on this long drive. I was cautious but confident that I could make the trip timely and without incident. I had fleeting thoughts as I gathered my belongings, "be sure to wear your gloves" then briefly saw myself needing their warmth in a long wait on the side of an icy road. I put them in my pocketbook.
I did not take my medicine, not sure why, as it generally is the first thing I do when I wake. It has a tendency to make me a little foggy at times as it works its magic to ease my pain and stiff neck. Instead I brought my water and meds with me  thinking once I got down the road a ways I would take it. Maybe when I stopped for gas and I would get a snack to eat with it, no wait, let me grab a fiber bar - even better. Bundled and braced I left at 6:12.
The exterior temperature gauge read 29 degrees when I turned the key and backed out of the drive. So dark, so cold but no so treacherous, just a thin layer of snow, right? Iry's warning of black ice from the weather experienced the week prior whispered from the back seat. I shook my head, yes, I know baby, I know, as I pulled away from home. I saw a slice in my mind's eye and imagined my body react to the by relieving the pressure of my foot on the gas but knowing not to apply it to the brake. I followed the path out to the road debating high beams over low beams and decided low would allow me to see the oncoming lights sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment